Monday, April 23, 2012

Veteran's Surplus-Guest Blog

We have quite a bit going on right now with Social Security Disability, MED Board and PEB. I have been meaning to get these guest posts on here for a while now, so going to start adding them in when I have too much on my plate. I welcome family members, Veterans and organizations that live, work, or help our Veterans and their families with PTSD and/or TBI. Please Welcome them all. ~Uncle Sam's Mistress

Hi everyone!  First, I want to say thank you to Uncle Sam’s Mistress for letting me guest blog on her site.  The project I’m here to talk about today, Veteran’s Surplus, is very near and dear to my heart.  Unfortunately, I am a tiny voice in the blogging world and haven’t been able to get it off the ground on my own.  I’m so grateful that USM is willing to let me use her platform to get the word out.

Before I go into the details of VS, I will tell you a little about myself.  My name is Brittany, I’m a semi-anonymous blogger at Delightfully Awkward.  My blog falls in the “daily rambles” category because I talk about pretty much any and everything.  Some are veteran specific issues, some are education related (especially lately, with graduate school drama), some are about being a Southern transplant (although not for much longer!)…you get my point.  But I’m not here to talk about myself.  I’m here to talk about my project, Veteran’s Surplus. 

Veteran’s Surplus is an idea that I came up with because I felt alone.  When my husband first joined the Army, I felt alone (this seems to be a pattern in my life, huh).  Then, I was blessed to find a wonderful (and large) online community of Army Wives who were my lifeline when I had no idea what was going on.  Once my husband ETS’d (meaning his contract ended), I hoped for a Veteran version of the same thing.  You see, my active duty friends no longer understood the position we were in.  The people who had once provided me with PCS and re-deployment were unable to help with the G.I. Bill or disability services.  We may not be active duty any more, but I assure we do not feel like civilians (and civilians can definitely tell we are not like them).  I often feel like I’m living in an odd limbo world, where I don’t quite belong to either sector.

So I created Veteran’s Surplus.  The goal of VS is to be a master “link list.”  Basically, I want anyone in the veteran community (veterans, veteran spouses, veteran children, veteran workers…anyone who deals with veterans) to provide a link to their blog here.  I will then put all of these blog links in one list, on the VS page.  I also ask that if you provide your blog link, you take the Veteran’s Surplus button and put it on your blog.  Then anyone who clicks the button will be brought to the VS page and have the opportunity to not only share their own blog, but to find other blogs (and people) who are dealing with the same issues.  Whether you are a blog that focuses solely on Veteran issues such as Uncle Sam’s Mistress, or you are a jumble of things that just happen to include Veteran topics (such as me), I highly encourage let’s be honest, I beg you to come link up.  This project means so much to me, and I think it could have a wonderful impact if done properly.  But I can’t do it alone- my one little blog is hardly much of a list!  I want to help bring the veteran community together, and I hope you will help me in that quest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Would Love to Hear From Ya'll!